Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Dam Ships – ms Volendam





I didn’t get to see the Volendam from my window in flight, instead it was the tired redbrick n’ roof tiles that sent out a dreary hello, welcome to Sydney, ‘cruise gateway capital of Oz’ as we landed.   I didn’t get to see the Volendam as our train ride for one adult and one pensioner (yes, I managed to save $5 thanks to Sir Kens years of seniority) entered Circular Quay….I was too busy fighting to get my suitcase and cabin bag out the door, thus successfully holding up everyone else whilst Sir Ken had an inordinate amount of time to view and snap happy photo’s of his first glimpse and experience of the Volendam….. I craned my neck to see the ship as the turnstile snavelled up my more expensive ticket than Sir Kens… damn, I was wanting to keep his ticket as a souvenir of his seniority status over mine…. but still the view was not there.  I could hear the didgeridoo being played for the tourists as I trundled my wheelie bag and cabin bag along the red brick pavement, I had my essentials packed in the trusty samsonite….. ‘Mac’ and I we were going places again… we hadn’t travelled together since the world cruise, I hoped the cobble pavement was not too harsh on my macbook……. The didge droned on….. my eyes scanned the horizon looking for that all impressive first site of ‘your ship’ just waiting there….. to take you away, forget about the other 1398 passengers, this ship was there awaiting the arrival of Sir Ken and I, but still there was no view, and just then, as I rounded the corner on the last lap of my 7 hour journey from my back door to the somewhat overly pretentious named OPT – ‘Overseas Passenger’ Terminal’….. there it was, ……I could hear a Ukulele busker strumming away,  walting matilda, walting matalda who’ll come a waltzing matailda with’ ….. we’ll I thought I’m walking my ‘mac’ isn’t that enough……and then there it was…… rising high right in front of me……THE Volendam…… her large black hull didn’t look as sleek or impressive as any of the Princess fleet, nor the Royal Carribean, black, bold, business like, even a cold looking hull.  I thought hmmm this is just a 16 day cruise holiday – it’s not THE world cruise….. am I disappointed that the ship hasn’t dazzled me… or is it the fact this is not a world cruise…  that has taken some razzle out of the dazzle……perhaps I've just become a seasoned cruiser......



No comments:

Post a Comment